Saturday, April 21, 2012

My Experiences with the Goethe-Zertifikat-B2 Exam at the Goethe-Institut Sydney

[EDIT on 08/01/2013: To anyone planning to do the B2 exam soon, please also check out my post-mortem where I examine what went right and what went wrong]

In this post I'll write about the actual day of my exam and how things ran. The intention is to give future test candidates some perspective about what the test setup is like, and also just to record it now while the memory is fresh, because my mind is like swiss cheese usually.

I'll start with the night before when, at about 9pm, as I finally had my first opportunity to study for the exam the next day, my daughter, who we had just put down to bed, vomited. She had been coming down with something since the night before, but this was her first vomit. It was on the floor, wall, in her bed and in her hair. So, it was off to the shower for the second time that night, and a bunch of washing had to be done too once she'd got back to bed. By about 10-10:30pm I was sitting down again, finally ready to study.

You see, it's shit like this that I think people without kids can't appreciate. Yes, we all have jobs, or other studies, and all sorts of other junk to deal with too. But then, when you've dealt with all that other crap, and you finally sit down (late) to do some final study, your kid throws up all over themself in bed. The joys of parenting!

At this stage I decided not to do too much so I could get to bed earlier, but I still didn't get to bed till just after midnight. I got to sleep alright, but at 5am I woke up from something and just couldn't get back to sleep due to thinking about the exam. Oh, and the rain was BUCKETING down. I mean in sheets as thick as lead. The weather chose to continue doing this for the rest of the day, which explains why the road outside the Goethe Institut in Sydney was flooded and they had literally had sand-bags protecting one of their entrances. Crazy!

My plan was to not use English once I entered the Goethe-Institut so as to get into the right frame of mind and stay there. This was immediately broken when, as I stepped through the door, the receptionist said "are you all here for the exams? Upstairs, please". In the waiting room upstairs I found about, I don't know 10-15 people, all waiting for the exams. I didn't get much of a chance to talk to anyone then as I had to make a trip to the bathroom - nerves will do that to you. When I came out we went to register. The people who were still standing there waiting to register were all asked what level they were doing. They were all either A1 or A2. I found out later that one girl was doing B1, and I was the only one doing B2. When I was asked what exam I was doing, despite being asked in English and despite the fact that everyone else had answered in English, I stuck to my plan and answered in German :-)

Then we returned upstairs. I had a chance to guess at everyone's ages by this stage, and I think that, although I may have been one of the oldest, there was a broad range. I would say mostly mid-20's to mid-30's, with one or two younger. I can't say I looked at everyone in detail though, but it was far from my "nightmare" mix of heaps of high school or early university students all doing the B2 exam or higher, and all being much better than me!

After a short while all the people for the A1 and A2 exams were taken off to separate rooms for their introductions to the exam conditions, etc. There were three of us left in the waiting room - me, the young woman doing the B1 exam, and another woman who had come in with one of the men doing the A1 exam. Whenever anyone coming through asked us if we were here for the exams, this woman was at pains to point out that she was just here as moral support with her boyfriend and that she was a native speaker. What luck for me! We started chatting in German and had a good 5 minutes to talk about why her boyfriend was there (they were planning on emigrating to Germany, so he needed to have some language skills to show for the immigration application process, and I guess even A1 is enough to count as something, as basic as it is). During our chat the young woman doing the B1 exam asked this German speaker something, which the native speaker didn't understand. I'm pretty sure I remember understanding it, or just not hearing it properly because she spoke too quietly. The German woman had to ask her to repeat it several times. I don't think it was wrong, or her accent was bad (it sounded good to me in this short sample), she just lacked the confidence to project her voice adequately when speaking German. I felt really bad for her, because I felt like that could really knock her confidence before the exam. Looking back, I wish I had told her to come sit with us so she could chat too. I hate thinking that this might have shaken her a little. I know I would have felt bad if the German speaker had kept asking me to repeat.

Luckily for me, since I was sitting next to her, she could understand me perfectly. I told her the spoken part was the bit I was most worried about because I left practising it till too late, but she very reassuringly told me that I'll do very well because my German was very good. What better compliment could you receive right before a German exam! A great confidence boost!

We were then called down to do our exams in separate rooms. I had a whole classroom to myself, which was both relaxing and weird at the same time :-) The order of exam components was all completely different to what I expected. I was given the written components in the following order:

1) Hörverstehen (Listening comprehension)
2) Schriftlicher Ausdruck (Written expression)
3) Leseverstehen (reading comprehension)

I expected the order to be 3, 1, 2, but it didn't matter too much, though I might have preferred not to do the listening section first!

I found out later that the exam organiser was locking me in to the room, and it could only be opened from the outside. Woah! Fire risk! Sure, it's cheaper and easier for them to run, but if someone burns to death some day during an exam, there'll be hell to pay...

So, Hörverstehen. I think it went OK. It's in two sections - the first part you hear only once, and you need to fill in the correct details in a table of information - surely some sort of itinerary. These 5 questions are worth 2 marks each, so I was very disappointed that I missed one of them. I knew I had the answer wrong so when I copied it over to the answer book, I just had a guess, but that was almost certainly 2 points gone, without allowing for other mistakes. Oh well. The second part is 10 questions worth 1.5 each. I think this part went better and less ambiguously than many of my practice runs had gone, so I think it was OK. My usual score for this part is about 7/10 = 10.5/15 points. I hope I got enough in the first section to bring this over the 15/25 required.

Just a sidenote, it's not strictly necessary to get 15 out of 25 in every section. You need 45/75 for the written parts, and 15 out of 25 for the spoken part (at least, of course!) to pass. However, I made it my goal to not let any area be weak enough that I needed to hope for cross-subsidisation between them.

The Schriftlicher Ausdruck section went OK I think. There's a written composition part, and correcting errors in a letter. I think the second one I got at least 6 in. I would have said 7, but I made a silly change as I was copying my answers to the answer sheet that's given me doubts. However, I've just looked it up and even the answer I thought was right is wrong, so I can stop worrying about it. I definitely got it wrong! :-) Damn... I knew there was something else in that sentence which I wasn't sure about, but I was so sure of this one that I ignored the other thing. Oh well, can't change it now.

In the free composition, I did this differently to how I practised it. In practice, I had written a rough version and then copied that over as a final version. VERY, VERY TIME-CONSUMING! I noticed that I wasn't making many corrections during this time, so in the exam I made brief notes of sentence fragments and words for each point and then just tried to compose it once and write it neatly. Any bad mistakes I just crossed through and wrote again. This gave me time at the end to re-read it at least once, which is good. It seemed mostly basic in its sentence structure (I deliberately tried to keep it that way to avoid tricking myself with over-complicated sentences) but it covered everything and had a decent flow. You are required to write at least 180 words - I think mine was at least 300! One thing I should have done at the end is to focus on grammatical errors of mismatches in the endings on the articles (words like "ein", "der") and related words ("mein", "dein", etc) and adjectives. I know what these should be, but often get them wrong in writing when I'm rushing (and VERY often when I'm speaking! This might be my next goal to fix up!).

Finally came the Leseverstehen. The first question in it was a bit awkward - it seemed very broad and ambiguous. Usually I scream through this in practice questions and get it close to 100% right, but this time I'm not so sure. It also took me more than the suggested 15 minutes, but I easily made up this loss on all the other sections (I can read quite fast now when the texts are at B2 level). The other question I had issues with is one that always gets me - the one where you have to say whether the author sees something as positive, or negative/sceptical (or ambiguous, really). So, you have a 50/50 shot. Should be easy! Except that even when I understand the text 100%, and the question 100%, I often find myself strongly disagreeing with the answer. They seem to expect you to find just the first sentence that relates to the question and form your opinion off that, but not always. And therein lies the rub. So, yeah, I think this question annoying. I could easily have got a couple wrong because the possible answer could go either way.

Overall, however, the reading section went OK and I was reasonably happy with it.

I think that all the written parts were OK. I'm reasonably confident that I could pass this part.

After a short 5 minute break, I started my preparation for the spoken part. It went quite well. As I was on my own, I didn't get a choice about the topic, but the topic I got was OK. I used some of the thoughts I had put together for some written practice prior to the exam, because the topics all overlap quite a lot to be honest. One thing that went wrong here is that I didn't make any notes for the dialogue question. (I just spent too much time on the monologue preparation, and didn't get into the right frame of mind for the dialogue. This may   prove to have been a big mistake.

At the appointed time one of the oral examiners came to collect me. I went into one of the front offices, which was nicely lit and a pleasant change of venue from the dark, cold classroom where I had done the other parts. I was introduced to my two examiners, and after a brief exchange of pleasantries, I began my monologue. My memory of it now is that it went OK. Probably about as good, or slightly better, than some of my better practice runs. It was actually much easier to deliver it to an audience than when I practised it by speaking into my mobile phone and listening back later. A real audience, on the contrary from being scary, actually helped with important visual cues of their attention, as well as the occasional brief word of agreement, or acknowledgement of what was said, which helped a lot with the flow I felt.

The second part, the dialogue, was done with one of the examiners because I was the only B2 candidate. He was very nice and friendly, and put me at ease. However, I hadn't prepared for this section, and I didn't have a lot to say about each thing - I should have at least looked over the photos in advance and had a think. Also, I committed the cardinal sin of letting him direct the conversation. I don't think I ever explicitly elicited his feedback, except with the occasional "oder?" or something similar. I was interactive, but more responsive than proactive. I'm really annoyed at myself because I knew one of the marking criteria where I could get points without necessarily knowing more German was by being very interactive, and I don't think I did enough of this to overcome some of my weaknesses where I would score lower. I had no trouble understanding the examiner, and he didn't have any understanding me (at least, none that he showed), but I'm just not sure how this part would pan out for me.

These two parts are worth equal marks overall, so only time will tell now. However, I do already know that spending ALL of my preparation time on the monologue was misguided. I got about 15 minutes to prepare (actually a little less), of which I would suggest to anyone else doing this exam that they spend 3-5 minutes on preparing for the dialogue. I had also prepared a small list of phrases specifically to help with the dialogue, eliciting feedback, etc. I hardly used any of these. It didn't help that I only compiled the list on the night before the exam, and with my limited time available, I didn't really practise them enough to make them flow out of me. I had also, obviously, never practised the dialogue section. I considered asking my Austrian friend at work to help me do that on the day before the exam, but as luck would have it she was off sick that day. All my own fault, of course, for leaving the specific spoken practice so late.

My honest final assessment is that I felt that, although I'm not guaranteed to pass, which is really where I wanted to be before the exam, I should at least come very close. It was definitely the right exam for me to take - B1 would have been too easy, and, although I think I could do OK on a C1 exam, OK in this context would most likely be a fail, especially in the spoken section. So, yeah, whatever the result, I now think of myself as being at B2 level. Still, it would be really, really nice if Goethe agreed. Then I could proudly write the name of my certificate on my resume!

PHEW! Sorry, that was a big post. If you made it this far, your reward is to know that I'll write a post sometime in the near future assessing my studies to this date - what went right, what went wrong, ideas for how to improve in the future, etc.

Danke fürs Lesen!

21 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience!
    I am currently following a B2 course in Germany (I just had a 'Probeprufung' yesterday and we're moving on to C1), but I have to say that my colleagues are far worse than what you described here and they still got positive feedback from our teachers. That being said, I am 100% sure that you will get your certificate! You're just underestimating yourself, you'll see!

    P.S: I was exactly in your situation when I had my TOEFL exam for English and I barely prepared the speaking part one day before, but I still got a very very good overall score, which I didn't expect. I guess, after I read a couple of your posts, that we are perfectionists - and that makes us a little too pessimist! That's the problem. They say: the more you know, the more you realize how much you don't know!

    Good luck from now on with your new certificate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'day Unknown! :-)

      Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate your support. I only hope I actually did as well as you think.

      I used to be more of a perfectionist in language use, and it didn't get me far. I have let go of that, to some extent. I do however think that my assessment in this case is probably reasonably accurate. I think my mark will *probably* be above 60 to maybe 70 if my stars align, but I could just miss out on the spoken section.

      Then again, I have no "Probepruefung" to go by :-) I actually asked the Goethe Institute in Sydney if I could just drop in and have a 5 minute conversation with someone just to see if I'm at all on track for the exam... But they only replied that I could get a 45 minute private lesson for $75! That would have more than doubled my financial investment so far over the past 2 odd years! Needless to say, I didn't take them up on the offer :-)

      Oh, by the way, I don't suggest telling a German you've let go of your perfectionism with regards to their grammar. My experience so far is that it doesn't go down particularly well!

      Thanks again for the comment - I hope to get my results soon and will update the blog as soon as I do.

      Delete
  2. Hey,

    It was nice reading your experience. Í am going through the same situation. Have my B2 exam tomorrow, have done with 6 Modellsatz but still not confident enough. I hope everything goes will. Did zou find any similarities between the Model test papers and the final exam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have long suspected that royalty were included amongst my readership. Thank you for confirming that!

      Thanks for reading, Rajput. The difficulty, layout, etc, was identical to the Modellsatz found on the Goethe website here:

      http://www.goethe.de/lrn/prj/pba/bes/gb2/mat/deindex.htm

      The only difference for me was that it was given to me in an unexpected order, but that didn't really matter.

      Can I ask - where did you find 6 model exams? Are these from a book you've bought? If so, please let us all know. Especially after you've done your exam :-)

      And most of all - GOOD LUCK! At this late stage, the best thing to do is relax. You'll answer the questions you know to the best of your ability this way, and you'll be more impressive in the spoken test. Anything you don't know now is not worth worrying about :-)

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this post! I see so many posts about B1, but I didn't know exactly what to expect from B2.

    I have my exam in new york on june 21. I don't know exactly how I'll do. I work for a school so in a few days I'll have a lot more free time to study (summer vacation=less work) so I'm hoping to get at least an average 4 hours a day until then. (As it is, I know I would pass B1 right now, and I would do ok on B2, so I'm hoping this 1.5 months of study will get to good enough to pass...

    But thank you again for the post! I have been going over this scenario in my mind for a while where I go and all the others taking B2 will be much better than me and it will be discouraging, but I now know to just not worry about that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad to hear that it's been helpful to you in some way. Don't forget to check out the post-mortem if you haven't already, where I go over what did and didn't work for me in terms of preparation:

      http://yetanotherlanguage.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/passing-goethe-zertifikat-b2-exam-post.html

      If you need to practice your listening comprehension, you might also find the links in this article useful:

      http://yetanotherlanguage.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/tips-to-improve-german-listening-skills.html

      It sounds to me like you're right on track with your current level and amount of time left for preparation. I recommend doing as honest an assessment as possible of your weaknesses with the exam format itself and then start with that. Just keep up your motivation and you'll do great! Maybe you can do a guest blog post about your own experiences and post-mortem once you've finished :-)

      If you find this or any other articles useful, please share them with your fellow German learners!

      Delete
  4. Hello! Thank you for your post, very enlightening. I am about to do the B2 exam for the 2nd time. And I just wanted to ask you quickly, during the exam, could you understand all the vocab in the exam?
    And if you did, how did you prepare for it? I have done Assimil & obviously I have to add a lot of vocab to Assimil but I just don't know where to get this & what extend is enough for this exam.
    I use B2 Practice books and I seem to be getting different difficult words each time! Its so frustrating.

    Any advice or tips? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll always find new words at every level. I did a silly online test the other day which estimated my vocabulary as somewhere in the 80,000 word range and yet I still (albeit rarely) come across words that I don't know in my native tongue! So yeah, no surprises there.

      Like I said, the book I used to prepare for the readin sections was "Lesetraining B2" from Hueber. The link I used previously has moved but I've found it here:

      https://shop.hueber.de/en/lesetraining-b2.html

      And the answer key (VITAL!) can be found here:

      https://shop.hueber.de/media/hueber_dateien/Internet_Muster/Red1/978-3-19-011684-3_Muster_1.pdf

      I made sure I added all the vocabulary from this book that I didn't know to my Anki list. Then I would translate articles from the web (usually that also had audio - the news, reports on topics that interested me, etc) and add any words I didn't know from these. I reviewed my Anki list every day, and you should too! Don't stress when you find a word you don't know - just add it to your list and move on. The important thing is that you should know enough words so that the remaining unknown words in a sentence are clear enough from context. I think by the time I did the exam, vocab was not a big problem for me at the B2 level. Improving my vocab through reading B2 level exam prep material plus doing Anki pushed me above the level of vocab I needed for the other parts of the exam, so it's worth the effort.

      For some other tips, check out the following articles for starters:

      http://yetanotherlanguage.blogspot.com.au/2013/01/passing-goethe-zertifikat-b2-exam-post.html

      http://yetanotherlanguage.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/tips-to-improve-german-listening-skills.html

      If you feel I haven't addressed your particular problems enough, please don't hesitate to write more in the comments or send me a private message and I'll see if I can help.

      Viel Glück bei der Prüfung!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much! your tips were quite helpful. I did the exam & it was so much easier that I anticipated. And I figured that the vocabulary they use in B2 practice books is more or less similar to the one in the exam, so I was well prepared and the exam went so smoothly.

    I am looking forward to a pass and in the mean-time I'm expanding my Medical German Vocabulary, cause I will practice Medicine in Germany soon. I'm excited!

    Vielen Dank!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallo,
    ich freue mich, dass ich Ihren Artikel gefunden habe.
    ich hoffe, dass meine B2 Prüfung, die ich am 11.Juli habe, so gut wie Ihre würde.
    Bitte wünschen Sie mir Glück!

    Viele Grüße,
    Pooja S. (aus Indien.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Pooja!

      Bitte, per Du :-)

      Entschuldigung, dass ich so spaet bin! Ich habe dir dennoch gute Gedanken geschickt. Bitte gib uns alle Bescheid, wie es ging. Ich druecke dir die Daumen!

      Ganz liebe Gruesse,
      Crno

      Delete
  7. hallo Srce und Pooja,
    wie geht is ihnen? ich lese ihre wort hier und ich freue mich sehr darüber .
    veile Grusse
    Gajendra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Gajendra,

      wie geht's?

      es geht mir gut!

      Gruss,
      Pooja

      Delete
  8. Mir geht es gut, Gajendra :-) So viele Inder, die Deutsch lernen! Schoen, dass du dabei bist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hallo Crno!

    Ich werde meine B2 Pruefung am 26 September machen, ich kann nicht darauf warten. Dankeshoen fuer deine erfahrung die du mit uns geteilt hast, es werde beschtimmt helfen.

    Viele Gruesse,

    Bryan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Das freut mich! Gute Chance bei der Pruefung :-)

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hallo :)
    Ich heiße Sunny, bin 21 und komme aus Taiwan. Danke für deine Erfahrung! Ich werde am 15.05 mein B2 Prüfung machen. Ich hab' wirklich Angst vor der mündlichen Prüfung und der schriftlichen Prüfung. Ich hoffe, dass ich es bestehen kann...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hallo Ungewissen :-)

    Du muesst ja ueben soviel wie moeglich vor der Pruefung. Hab aber keine Angst! Besonders am Tag der Pruefung. Was auch immer du bis dann gelernt hast soll reichen.

    Gute Chance!

    ReplyDelete